Monday, March 22, 2010

Beef Stew

1 1/2 lbs stew meat
2 beef bullion cubes
1 tsp salt
3 Tbs Heinz 57 sauce
2 onions
2 potatoes
baby carrots

Season meat with salt and pepper. In a stockpot brown meat in a little oil. Dissolve bullion cubes in 2 cups of hot water and add to meat. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Cut vegetables to desired size and add to meat. Stir in Heinz 57, cover, and simmer an additional hour or until vegetables are very tender. Thicken with a small amount of cornstarch and water mixture.

**cornstarch mixture: mix cornstarch and water until it is paste like. Pour it into stew and stir. Continue to add this mixture until it is to your desired thickness**

We like to serve it on top of a slice of buttered bread.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. We're huge into chicken recipes right now, so I'm sure Peter will appreciate me mixing it up with some red meat. Thanks for all the recipes! Can't wait to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remembered that I add some more water and bullion cubes when I add the veggies. I want the veggies to get tender so it helps if they are submerged in liquid.

    ReplyDelete